“Will using a rowing machine give me a six pack?”
I get asked this question a lot from my readers.
You might wonder, how rowing can tone your stomach and build abs.
So I thought I should cover this hot topic in a post for everyone rather than telling individually on emails.
You might have wonder, how rowing machine can help you tone your abdominal muscles and build abs.
In this post you’ll learn about:
- “Can rowing help you get a toned stomach?”
- “How to build abs using a rowing machine?”
There is no doubt that rowing is a solid full-body workout. And when it is said that rowing is a full-body workout, it means that rowing can also help in toning/building abdominal muscles.
Rowing is a low impact, high-intensity workout that involves 83% of your body muscles.
It’s very effective when losing weight is your prime concern.
Fact: You can burn about 377 calories in just 30 minutes of workout on a rowing machine (for an individual who weighs around 190 pounds).
Can Rowing Help You Get a Toned Stomach?
The simplest answer to this frequently asked question “Will a rowing machine tone my stomach?” is a big resounding ‘YES’. The regular and systematic use of the rowing machine ensures a toned stomach and perfect abs.
Who doesn’t want to get rid of those less-than-attractive fats showing on your stomach? It looks so unappealing and also increases your risk of multiple serious diseases.
If you want to get rid of your stomach fat through a rowing machine, you can definitely do that, but you should opt for a systematic approach.
There are multiple ways through which a rowing machine can help you tone your stomach to an ideal shape:
- It helps you get rid of the extra fat that has been accumulating with excessive food or lack of proper exercise. Once you have worked your way through the fat, the abs will shine out.
- The rowing machine is one of the most effective ways of developing strong abdominal muscles. Since you are getting rid of the fat and building strong abdominal muscles – what else do you need for a toned stomach?
- Each rowing stroke (when done rightly) puts to use all the core muscles of your body, including your stomach – and hence, helps in toning it to an ideal shape.
- Rowing machine puts to use all the major abdominal muscles and eases your way towards a toned stomach.
- The rowing machine has been lauded by professionals because of its effectiveness as an all-body workout, and stomach muscles are no exception.
When I talk about rowing strokes being done rightly, I mean using proper guideline from an instructor, a manual, online guide or some professional on how you can use the rowing machine in an optimal way to melt away your belly fat and tone your stomach muscles. HIIT and LISS are two proven techniques that can effectively help you in this regard.
If you perform roughly around 15-20 strokes every minute and give it your full power, it will help you in maximizing the results you are aiming at – that is, toning the stomach.
Get Your Whole Body in Shape With Rowing
While you are aiming at toning your stomach, you wouldn’t only want to get your stomach in shape while leaving the rest of muscles on your body flabby and slack.
The good thing about the rowing machine is that it works on all the muscles on your body, thus serving your purpose and giving you extra benefits too.
Instead of working crazy to target the fats on a particular part of your body (like the stomach), try to set your target on an overall healthy body and proportionate fat loss from all areas of your body.
When your whole body tones down, stomach fat will inevitably go away as well.
Point of caution
If you are just starting out on a rowing machine to tone your stomach, please be cautious and do not over-do it. You should be aiming at slowly building your stamina and maintaining a routine.
Things to Consider While Rowing for Abs
There are some factors to consider while rowing.
- The body posture is the key to any exercise. If the posture is not maintained well then you may end up developing strain in different muscle groups. Similar is the case with rowing, for abs (Abdominal muscles) sitting posture should be maintained to maximize the results. Here is a video for good posture example.
- If you are targeting the abdominal muscles, especially for building Abs. Then you need to choose high-intensity exercise and not just the simple cardio.
- Harder workouts have high impacts. The same case is with rowing, when you target abdominal muscles, the harder you row the more you strengthen your core. So, when you rowing for Abs- the number of strokes does not matter but what matters is the intensity of your workout. Which means you need to row harder but not too long.
Crunches Versus Rowing for Abs
There is no doubt that crunches are considered to be the best and most cost-effective approach to building abs. And I admit that crunches are the most cost-effective exercise for abs building because for crunches you just need a mat.
Crunch is an isolation exercise whereas rowing is cardio.
#1. Full body workout
Rowing is a full body workout whereas crunches target only the abdominal muscles. Rowing also increases heart rate and engage different muscle groups.
#2. Burn Calories (Lose Weight)
As I already mentioned above, using a rowing machine a man who weighs around 180 to 190 pounds can burn about 377 calories in mere 30 minutes.
#3. Muscle Toning
Rowing is particularly effective in toning different muscle groups (Upper body + Lower body).
#4. Low Impact
Rowing is considered among the lowest impact exercises. Even the injured athletes row to recover from the impact. Low impact means low risk of muscle and joint injuries. (But always a doctor’s advice is recommended).
If you are planning to buy a rowing machine for yourself.
Then you should definitely look at the list of best rowing machines that I reviewed for you.
And if you ask me to pick one (regardless of the budget), here is the one that I recommend to anyone from beginner to athletes- the Concept2 Model D.[adinserter block=”5″]
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends.