I write about stuff I think my readers like. When you buy through my links, I may get a commission.
There is no doubt that rowing is a very effective cardiovascular exercise that helps in keeping heart, lungs, and the whole body tuned and healthy.
But today in this post I am not going to cover the health benefits of rowing, we have already covered that in our previous articles.
Some of my subscribers ask me to review some specific rowing machines, and Merax is one of the most asked machines in my emails.
So, I decided to review the Merax magnetic rowing machine first, for the people who are planning to buy this specific indoor rower.
So without wasting any more time now, let’s dig right into the review:
Merax group of products was founded in 1995. Since then they are offering fitness equipment to promote a healthy lifestyle among their customers.
The Merax launched its magnetic indoor rower in 2018. The features of this rowing machine are incredibly practical and make your workout routine productive by burning more calories in much less time.
If you have challenged yourself with some fitness goals, but never owned a rowing machine before, then this affordable rowing machine from Merax could make a way to your home.
Who is this for?
The machine is best for beginners, and they can easily use it at home; since it has excellent construction and aesthetic design.
Additionally, it offers the possibility to perform a decent cardio workout. It is one of the few rowing machines that are ideal yet dynamic rowing equipment. This machine helps you to stay focused, and you will be able to enjoy the aerobics it provides.
Key highlights of Merax Magnetic
This particular model of Merax rowing machines has a compact structure with an appealing look. When you first look at it, it feels sturdy and well built.
It features padded seats that won’t let your hips feel any pain or discomfort during longer sessions. Many of my readers who have bought this particular model are pretty satisfied because of the competitive features that are being offered at an affordable price.
- The complete structure of this machine is made up of solid steel, and it is coated with anti-corrosive material.
- There are stabilizer bars that are made up of the same material. So, you can be sure that the machine is going to last for decades.
- The machine can efficiently support a maximum of 264 pounds of user weight, which is above average weight capacity comparing with other models.
- Its unique inclined design is compelling as it has flat steel with a T-shaped stabilizer bar.
- It has adjustable pedals with magnetic resistance to adjust the position, covering a dimension of 78 inches.
With this sturdy and stable machine, you can experience a challenging and effective workout throughout your rowing fitness workout.
As it has different levels of resistance, so you can make it work smoothly with the desired level of resistance without facing any bumps or jerks while changing levels.
This machine has an eight-level adjustable tension knob, by which you can easily adjust and change the intensity of your workout.
The resistance is strong enough, and the setting around 6 to 7 is perfect. (The setting level at 6-7 is my personal preference, but you should decide your own after rowing a few strokes).
Many users who are advanced athletes might think that resistance is a bit less at this stage. Women who are looking forward to having a moderate cardio workout can easily do it. The resistance is easy, smooth, and produces no sound, so users can enjoyably row while watching TV. 😉
On the other hand, it does not contain any air resistance elements. It has a small yet powerful magnetic brake which is attached through a steel cable. When you start turning the dial, the brake element changes its position and results in magnetic field intensity.
There is no need to connect the machine to any power circuit. Since it is a magnetic rower, so it does not vary with how hard you start pulling as compared to air or water resistance. It will remain constant according to the selected tension level.
Additionally, the internal flywheel is not so heavy. The weight is enough to deliver consistent momentum for rowing.
The 15 degrees angled seat helps in:
- increasing the resistance when a user pushes himself slightly. In this way, all muscles are used to control body weight.
- a smoother return.
Major Features of Merax Magnetic
Here are some of the major features on offer by Merax on this model of indoor rower.
1. Monitoring Panel
The LCD monitor on this machine does not come with many bells and whistles, but since it’s an affordable indoor rower and Merax made it targeted towards the first-time users of an indoor rower. The display is just enough to do its job done.
It helps you to track the time and calories. With the help of tracking, you can make multiple adjustments to your exercise according to your desired fitness goals.
It is super basic so that you can easily select the data you want to display.
You can also set time, count, and calorie targets until you hit your goal for the workout.
Those who want a more advanced monitor can look for a separate heart rate monitor. You can also use some other fitness apps on your smartphone, there are lots of them available on app stores these days.
2. Length Adaptability
When you are buying a rowing machine, one of the most critical factors is to check its length adaptability. The seat inclined on the beam sets the user length accommodation. The seat in this particular model can travel from one end to another, and it can easily accommodate up to 6’8” tall users.
3. Portability – Easy Folding
It can be folded easily and stored upright. People with limited space in their house will find this machine efficient since they can easily unfold it for the workout and later fold it up for storing away.
It provides a silent and comfortable workout owing to its built-in magnetic flywheel.
It has a 15 degree angled seat rail so that the rower functions smoothly. It cuts down all the noise that usually generates from other fitness equipment.
Its silent magnetic resistance makes it possible to exercise daily without any disturbance.
5. Smooth Adjustment
You can conveniently increase or decrease the intensity of your workout. As stated above, it has eight levels of resistance knobs to match the intensity of your workout.
🔗 Side Note: If you practice rowing, you better equip yourself with rowing gloves.
And a pair of rowing shoes. 😃
Whether you are looking at this machine for home use or light use at the gym, it does the job quite well.
Finding the best magnetic rowing machine is not very easy, especially the affordable ones. Here are some of the key points that made me recommend this machine to my readers.
- Less Maintenance: It requires very little maintenance due to the adjustable stabilizer, wheels, and magnetic flywheel.
- Comfortability: From a regular workout, you can have the desired results only when it is done correctly. This indoor rower helps in maintaining the right posture as it features a seat that has extra padding. This will support your body and ensure that blood flow is fine. Further, you can slip your feet in the foot straps for extra stability.
- Durable: Purchasing large equipment comes with the worry about its durability. The machine features built-in high-quality wheels and a foldable frame. This makes it easy for you to move the machine and place it wherever you want, without worrying about damaging it.
- Easy Assembly: Merax rowing machine looks complicated to assemble, but it is not. It comes with straightforward assembling instructions that don’t need any expertise with mechanical skills. This sophisticated machine is not only easy to install but also easy to use.
- Affordable: Expensive rower with various hi-tech features ends up doing the same job as a low-cost machine. It is a considerably affordable rowing machine with powerful magnetic resistance. So if you are looking for a one-time investment into a well-built machine, go for it.
- Smooth Operation: It manages to work quietly because of its advanced functioning flywheel. This feature makes it very smooth to operate.
- Preset Programs: As it features the best electromagnetic system, so it allows you to preset programs. You can also go with the default programs and start with a low-impact program. This will also control the resistance and make sure that you are not exceeding the prescribed heart rate.
- Warranty: Comes with one year of manufacturer warranty. So that first-time users will have peace of mind.
It wouldn’t be right to say that this machine is perfect. Following are a few things that need improvement to enhance its functionality:
- There is no proper stand to place the smartphone or tablet.
- If you haven’t used any exercise machine before, then you might face difficulty, as it does not come with any user manual. (Here you can download the manual in PDF format)
- LCD monitor does not contain any light. This will be a problem if you are working out in low light.
Overall, the Merax rowing machine will seamlessly perform the job that you expect it to do and even exceed your expectations sometimes.
It has a flawless design and functionality. The seat is reasonably comfortable too with a smooth pull.
With regular and proper use, it provides a consistent full-body workout for muscle toning, stamina building, and weight loss. It’s ultimately a low-cost option with all essential features. However, a few features need to be improved.
In a nutshell, if you are looking for budget fitness equipment, this could be a good bet.